Sterling the Cat

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Retreat can be positive.

        The moment Sterling is placed in the carrier his world changes completely. He hates the confinement of the cage, and the movement of the vehicle. He finds nothing that is familiar once he is released. There are no other cats and kittens. The rooms are big, except the one with his litter box. The food tastes strange. There is no noise, except in the distance. Where is Marta, the friendly woman who chose him? Finally he finds me at my computer. He crawls in the space under my feet, mixes with wires, and goes to sleep, for a long, long time.

        Sometimes my world feels out of control. There are demands I don’t think I can fulfill. There are changes I don’t want to make. If I follow Sterling’s example I would stop fighting it and take a very long and extended cat nap. The world will look different when I awake, and I will find a way.

What withdrawal examples do you have to share?

1 comment:

  1. Cindy Olivett RichterJanuary 23, 2011 at 4:51 PM

    I escape through my computer.....or read a book or spend time in my art room. I need to be alone without stimulation....alone with just my thoughts. Cindy

    ReplyDelete